3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, minced (about 1 cup)
1 medium sized carrot peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
2 stalks celery diced
2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
1 24oz can peeled San Marzano tomatoes
1 cup hot water
fresh basil, julienned (for garnish)
parmesan cheese (for garnish)
1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add in onion, carrots, and celery. Add in salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
2. Crumble in the ground beef and pork and continue cooking, stirring to break up the meat. Continue until the meat is fully cooked, and the water from the meat has evaporated (about 5 minutes).
3. Add in tomato paste and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes until the paste has reached a dark red color. Add in red wine and cook until all the liquid has evaporated (3 - 4 minutes).
4. Add in the crushed tomatoes, along with 1 cup of hot water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and let cook for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
5. Cook pasta according to package directions. Serve sauce over pasta and garnish with basil and parmesan cheese.