I think the one positive thing that has come out of this horrible year of 2020 is the power of food and our abilities to become just a tad more self sufficient in the kitchen. Comfort food is more than just a description for homestyle mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. Food truly has the ability to comfort and I think it has been most evident during the year of 2020.
1 box Rigatoni
1/4 olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 16 oz jars roasted red bell peppers (include the juice)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (plus more for topping)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions making sure to salt the water generously.
2. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until onions start to soften. Add in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 1 minute stirring so that garlic does not burn.
3. Add in peppers, along with their juices. Bring the sauce to a boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and either transfer sauce to a blender or food processor or puree with an immersion blender.
4. Return sauce to pan if needed and add in butter, cheese, and cream. Melt over medium heat.
5. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and top with fresh basil and extra parmesan cheese.