2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion diced
1 medium zucchini, peeled, and diced
6 medium stalks of celery diced
3 medium carrots diced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 15oz can of red kidney beans drained rinsed
8 cups vegetable broth
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 parmesan cheese rind (optional)
1 cup short pasta like orzo or elbows
2 cups cut greened beans, frozen,
kosher salt and pepper
parmesan cheese (for serving)
crusty bread (for serving)
1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large dutch oven. Add in onion, celery, carrots, and zucchini, and a generous pinch of salt. Cook for three minutes and add in the garlic. Stir to combine and cook for 8 - 10 minutes until veggies are soft.
2. Add in the dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and thyme. Stir and cook for 2 minutes
3. Add in the beans, diced tomatoes, broth, and parmesan cheese rind. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Bring soup to a simmer and add in the pasta and green beans. Cook until pasta is tender, around 8 minutes.
5. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. I usually add in 1/4 tsp ground pepper and 1 tsp salt
5. Ladle into bowls and serve with extra graded parmesan cheese and crusty bread.