2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 16 oz jar of salsa
1 cup frozen corn
1 14 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
3 green bell peppers sliced lengthwise with seeds and ribs removed
salt and pepper
1/2 cup diced cilantro (plus more for garnish)
1/4 cup water
1/2 Monterey Jack shredded cheese
diced avocado (for garnish)
1. In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook for 4 - 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
2. Add in the ground turkey and stir with a wooden spoon to break up any large pieces. Cook until turkey is completely browned, about 6 - 7 minutes.
3. Add in the jar of salsa and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 - 25 minutes until sauce becomes thick. Stir in black beans and frozen corn, and rice. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cut peppers into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Season the peppers with salt and pepper. Add in a generous scoop of the meat/rice mixture into the peppers. Cover with aluminum foil tightly and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and spread an even layer of cheese on the top of each pepper. Cover with foil and let cheese melt.
6. Serve with additional cilantro and fresh diced avocado.