3 pounds cherry stone clams
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh chives
Serve with crusty bread
1. Soak clams in a bowl with water for 30 minutes. This helps remove any excess sand. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat butter over medium heat in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Add in shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant, making sure to frequently stir so that the garlic doesn't burn.
3. Add in the white wine and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for roughly 5 minutes so that the sauce reduces.
4. Add in the clams and cover the pot. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 8 minutes or until all the clams have fully opened. Discard any clams that have not opened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream. Season the broth to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley and chives. Serve in large bowls with plenty of broth and crusty bread.