1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 package active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsps)
1 tsp kosher salt
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp garlic powder
10 cups water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 large egg beaten, mixed with 1 tbsp water
Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
1. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let it sit for five minutes, until the mixture becomes foamy. Add in the flour, butter, and garlic powder. Using a dough hook mix on medium speed until the dough is smooth and comes together in a ball. Add more flour or water as needed. Mix for roughly 4 - 5 minutes. Remove the dough and place in a well oiled bowl. Cover with saran wrap or a damp towel, and let it rest until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheets with a silicone baking mat or grease properly. Meanwhile, bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
3. Remove dough from the bowl and place onto a well floured service. Divide the dough evenly into two pieces. Then divide each section into five even pieces. You should end up with ten pieces of dough.
4. Roll out the dough, piece by piece, into ropes. Fold the rope in half around your finger, and twist 2-3 times. Twist the dough and tuck the ends under the buns so they don't show. Place each knot on a baking sheet.
5. Lower the pretzels into boiling water, one by one, and let cook for 30 seconds. Pretzels will rise to the top when done. Remove and place on the baking sheet. Once completed, brush all the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle with Everything but the Bagel seasoning. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
6. Serve with your favorite mustard or marinara sauce.