1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp salted butter
3 cups cremini mushrooms
3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp fresh thyme (plus more for serving)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup marsala
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl whisk together flour and garlic powder. Dredge each chicken breast on both sides in the flour mixture and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. When olive oil begins to shimmer, add in the chicken and cook on both sides until golden brown. About 5 - 7 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
3. Add in butter and mushrooms and toss so butter covers the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms sit and cook for five minutes. Add in garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Add in balsamic vinegar, broth, and marsala. Remove half the mushrooms and set aside on a plate. Allow the sauce to cook and thicken for 15 minutes, then pour in the cream.
4. Add the chicken back into the skillet and cook for an additional 5 - 10 minutes. Spoon the reserved mushrooms over the chicken.
5. Serve over rice, potatoes, or pasta. Top with additional fresh thyme.